HMP Rye Hill Horticultural Support Worker
Garden Organic has an opportunity for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Horticultural Support Worker. If you have relevant practical experience of managing challenging situations, working knowledge of substance misuse along with enthusiasm for organic growing techniques we have the perfect job for you. Consider joining our friendly and professional team at HMP Rye-Hill in Rugby.
Our Horticultural Support Workers assist with the delivery of the Master Gardener programme in HMP Rye Hill which supports the personal development of ‘substance-misuse’ prisoners by creating a growing space where new skills can be learned. The support worker has a practical role to:
- Assist with the delivery of the programme and to liaise with associated staff;
- Train and support prisoners and be responsible for the delivery of horticultural sessions.
The approach is to build and maintain a targeted intervention allowing prisoners to work towards a life of employment opportunities free of re-offending and dependency on drugs and alcohol.
HMP Rye Hill is situated in the village of Willoughby, near Rugby, in Warwickshire. A PFI prison which opened in 2001, it is a category “B” training prison, acting as a national resource for sentenced male adults who have been convicted of a current or previous sex offence(s).
- Train and support prisoners enrolled on the Master Gardener programme offered by Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Team (DART).
- To work within the Garden Organic team supported by existing G4S Garden Support worker to deliver horticultural sessions for prisoners working through their individual portfolios of achievement to offer most opportunities for personal development and rehabilitation
- Work to the projects service specification and within the allotted budget for all of the growing spaces used by the project
- Monitor, evaluate, and promote the achievements of the growing space and prisoner attainment to programme stakeholders
- Assist with the integration of the growing spaces operated by the project with the other interventions offered by DART and the wider prison programmes / interventions as appropriate. Other interventions include therapies and industry workshops.
- Promote the project within the prison to other departments, G4S, visitors, and Garden Organic networks
- Apply and contribute learning from Garden Organic’s National Master Gardener Programme team, i.e. shared best-practice, industry recognition, and innovation by sister Programmes.
- Fully comply with all security policies and procedures within the prison. Maintain a safe and secure environment for everyone. Includes adhering to confidentiality agreements.
- Attend contract meetings with G4S, DART, stakeholders and external partners as required
- Attend training courses as required and as directed by the Co-ordinator
- Undertake other Garden Organic tasks and responsibilities as required.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact HR on 02476 308237 or 02476 308208.
Applications on our company application form only please, a copy can be obtained from HR or via our website.
All applicants must have a 10 year checkable history and meet the strict identification and security requirements required by G4S.
Garden Organic is an equal opportunities employer.